new background

So I started a blog. I'm a planner. I like to organize and prioritize. Sounds kind of weird for a gardener, but hey, its who I am. I like dirt. I like starting things from seeds and help them become the greatness that is veggie! I spent countless hours/days/weeks/months preparing for my garden adventure. I read. I read seed catalogs, old books of my mother's, other gardeners' blogs, random websites about gardening basics, and magazines. With that said, I will forever be a beginner gardener/farmer. So, again, I started a blog. I'm going to share my gardening ups and downs, what worked for me and, of course, my epic failures. I love to share tricks and knowledge and experiences with people that I've learned over time. So please, read my blog and come over to my garden, and mostly, enjoy!



Thursday, January 10, 2013

Oh me, oh my, oh rainy day!

Rainy days. Fav by far. Part A of me loves rainy days because I like the confines of my home. Forced to face projects and tasks with coffee in hand. Part B of me loves the rain because its a small way to put my life into perspective. The best I can do is plan for the worst and hope for the best. We are all vulnerable and at the mercy of whatever the Earth chooses to toss at us. Rain. Sometimes a delicate reminder that we aren't really in control of anything. (and if you're like me, not even your hair is under your control when it rains) Sometimes it makes us blatantly aware of our lack of preparedness. One of my goals for 2013 and always ongoing is to be more mentally and physically ready to handle a disaster. Planning gives me a sense of control. As slight as it may be, I can, task by task, create a "what if" scenario and a hopeful plan of survival. There is so much more to preparedness than just growing your own food and starting a fire.  The Part B of my personality also wants to run like a pack of wild dogs through Bass Pro Shop and Walmart, grabbing every jug of water and piece of survival gear that my 140lb frame could carry at one time and letting out a battle cry as I exit the premises. Part A tells my Part B to shut the hell up. I've been following a few homesteaders' blogs for years now. The Homestead Revival has a great ongoing preparedness challenge that allows you to gather supplies and gain self sufficiency weekly and in easy steps. With the way things are going these days, you can never be too prepared. And, if bad things aren't around the corner...just go camping with your new knowledge for fun.  Now quit picturing me with war-paint all over my face running through a store with security chasing close behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment