new background

So I started a blog. I'm a planner. I like to organize and prioritize. Sounds kind of weird for a gardener, but hey, its who I am. I like dirt. I like starting things from seeds and help them become the greatness that is veggie! I spent countless hours/days/weeks/months preparing for my garden adventure. I read. I read seed catalogs, old books of my mother's, other gardeners' blogs, random websites about gardening basics, and magazines. With that said, I will forever be a beginner gardener/farmer. So, again, I started a blog. I'm going to share my gardening ups and downs, what worked for me and, of course, my epic failures. I love to share tricks and knowledge and experiences with people that I've learned over time. So please, read my blog and come over to my garden, and mostly, enjoy!



Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cityscape to my right; garden to my left

Its been a long few weeks here and very eventful. Birthdays. Baby Showers. Chickens. Babies. Family *issues*. Its finally starting to slow down and I am beginning to enjoy Spring. I went outside after dark last night just to sit down and do some weeding in the garden. Its ridiculous out there--weed haven. My niece arrived on Saturday morning, not before keeping everyone of us up all night with anticipation. Well worth it though. Her momma did so awesome and she is B-E-A-utiful! Such a snugglebug. I love her.

The chickens are getting so big. Its been a week now and I swear they have almost doubled in size. My favorite one, which I have nicknamed Bertha because she is quite a bit larger than the other chicks, is really trying out those wings. She was actually on top of the waterer the other morning. Scary. Its been so rainy the past two weeks that Hubby and I are having trouble finishing the coop. Ziggy-138 has had a pasty booty since Day 2. She is also not growing as fast as the others which worries me because she really is a sweetheart. They still seem very content in their little brooder for now. I've been giving them little bits of shredded lettuce out of the garden to help supplement the store-bought mediocre crumbles. They attack it more than they eat it. I sit on a little stool and just watch them play. I love them.

I get a lot of questions at work. Mainly "What the *bleep* are you doing with chickens?" I don't mind. I like being the oddball/crazy one. They think that I'm wacko for having chickens, and knitting, and whatever else I do that isn't the norm for a 28 yr old. I love driving down my street, about to turn into my driveway, and seeing the Louisville skyline in my rearview. Then I pull into the driveway and see my garden and half-done chicken coop. Its kind of cool having the best of both worlds here. I do love this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment