new background

So I started a blog. I'm a planner. I like to organize and prioritize. Sounds kind of weird for a gardener, but hey, its who I am. I like dirt. I like starting things from seeds and help them become the greatness that is veggie! I spent countless hours/days/weeks/months preparing for my garden adventure. I read. I read seed catalogs, old books of my mother's, other gardeners' blogs, random websites about gardening basics, and magazines. With that said, I will forever be a beginner gardener/farmer. So, again, I started a blog. I'm going to share my gardening ups and downs, what worked for me and, of course, my epic failures. I love to share tricks and knowledge and experiences with people that I've learned over time. So please, read my blog and come over to my garden, and mostly, enjoy!



Saturday, December 29, 2012

Your handmade life continues

The marshmallow. Fluffy and white. Indulgent and simple. People take for granted that jet-puffed perfectly cylindrical store-bought version is the only option. If you've never had a homemade marshmallow then you're certainly missing out. If you've got a little bit of time, an empty kitchen, and a stand-mixer then you can easily "whip" up a batch of fresh hot chocolate accessories. (pun INTENDED!!)  :-)  

I've used this fail/fool-proof recipe for years. Love me some Alton Brown just FYI.
Homemade Marshmallows

The cool thing about this recipe is if you spread them out on a sheet pan to set up, you can use cookie cutters to make fun shapes. I prefer snowflakes in my hot chocolate. I've even added a little peppermint oil and red food coloring in the last few seconds of mixing to make a swirly pink and white peppermint marshmallow. Put them on a sucker stick and dip them in chocolate and sprinkles. Cut them into squares and roll them in colored sprinkles. Heat them in a pan with a little butter and make the best rice crispy treats in the tri-state area!! Want me to keep going? One last word...S'mores. 

This post is dedicated to a new and dear friend in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment