new background

So I started a blog. I'm a planner. I like to organize and prioritize. Sounds kind of weird for a gardener, but hey, its who I am. I like dirt. I like starting things from seeds and help them become the greatness that is veggie! I spent countless hours/days/weeks/months preparing for my garden adventure. I read. I read seed catalogs, old books of my mother's, other gardeners' blogs, random websites about gardening basics, and magazines. With that said, I will forever be a beginner gardener/farmer. So, again, I started a blog. I'm going to share my gardening ups and downs, what worked for me and, of course, my epic failures. I love to share tricks and knowledge and experiences with people that I've learned over time. So please, read my blog and come over to my garden, and mostly, enjoy!



Sunday, May 22, 2011

You're already home if you're loved

Its Sunday. I am loved. I am making bread. I am making strawberry jam. I will be outside soon with my little Sophia, planting beans and transplanting tomato midgets. You could take me to the cliche paradise and it is nothing compared to my home, my hobbies, and the comfort in the love that Hubby shows me. I have met some new people recently and in their short time of existence in my life, have already created a new excitement for me. I love learning new things. I love sharing what I know. I feel like a broken record sometimes because happiness was so easy to accept for me. Maybe its sad that a simple cup of coffee and watching chickens run around your yard creates such a euphoric feeling to me. But, alas, I am simple. And life is what you make it. I was lucky in love. I had two great relationships. One lasted for 7 years and we are still good friends to this day. The other, well, I married him. Two very respectful, intelligent, loving men and I was lucky enough to have them in my life. There is never a 100% guarantee in love or life, but I am really trying to make the best of it all. I haven't always revered my relationships as they deserved to be, but now,everyday, I wake up its my first thought and always in my future goals. Show love and respect. Be polite. Be thoughtful. Be honest.

I feel the same way about the garden. I'm not an expert gardener, but I love it and try really hard to make it work. Tomato seedlings seem to be my biggest struggle. I have high hopes every year of not buying a single starter plant. I want to grow them all from seeds. It almost never happens. I have two of my own starts that I think will make it. Who knows. I still have bed prepping to do. Hopefully the freshly rained on ground will be soft enough for this preggos chick to till up with minimal effort. Hoeing seems to be a struggle for me. It wears me down more than anything. Enough whining.

Yesterday I got to go to the Kentucky Sheep and Fiber Festival. SO MUCH FUN! Packed up the car with fruit and tuna sandwiches, Sophia, and my momma. It was a little over an hour away in Lexington, KY. We saw an overwhelming amount of handspun/dyed yarn. I got TWO books autographed. (I'm far more star-struck over true talent and hard work than I am for the overpaid monkeys of Hollywood and professional sports) "Spud and Chloe Go to the Farm" by Susan B. Anderson and "Welcoming Home Baby the Handcrafted Way" by Tricia Drake are two books that were on my wish list, but now I have them AND I met the lovely ladies who wrote them. We pet sheep, goats, alpacas, and llamas. After browsing at the festival, we went to a store called Mother Nurture where I got a cloth diapering lesson. They had some super cute diaper covers and the lady was so helpful. I had so many reservations about "natural parenting" and things that I wanted to do with Sophia such as cloth diapering that I actually just refrained from doing them. With this new munchkin, I'm not holding back because I didn't know that I was even going to get this opportunity. Now if I could just think of a name for this little one...

1 comment:

  1. I love your zest for life and your honesty! You are an awesome woman. I am glad to call you "friend."

    2 things: First - come get my tiller, for goodness sake! Stop torturing yourself with a hoe!!!

    Second - We use cloth now, and did with B as well. I have tried lots of diapers, and love several. I'm happy to give you a lesson in those too. I've even got some dipes for you to try before you go buy a ton of useless ones! :)

    ReplyDelete