new background

So I started a blog. I'm a planner. I like to organize and prioritize. Sounds kind of weird for a gardener, but hey, its who I am. I like dirt. I like starting things from seeds and help them become the greatness that is veggie! I spent countless hours/days/weeks/months preparing for my garden adventure. I read. I read seed catalogs, old books of my mother's, other gardeners' blogs, random websites about gardening basics, and magazines. With that said, I will forever be a beginner gardener/farmer. So, again, I started a blog. I'm going to share my gardening ups and downs, what worked for me and, of course, my epic failures. I love to share tricks and knowledge and experiences with people that I've learned over time. So please, read my blog and come over to my garden, and mostly, enjoy!



Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tales from the coop...

To me, its cold and rainy. I go inside. I get a cup of tea to warm me up. To a chicken, its cold and rainy. Thats it. They have to wait for someone to bring them new food and warm, dry bedding. And today, they waited. The temperature dropped. The rain came in and down hard. I was at work. I looked outside and I was sick. They were all I could think about. All of my feathered babies...in the cold...in the rain...needing me for warmth and comfort...and I wasn't there. As soon as I got home, I was on damage control. I still had three bantam babies in the brooder box with the heat light on them which was unneccessary so I took the light outside to the teen-chicks. I threw on my muck boots and went to work. In the pouring down rain I hooked the light up for the chicks to get dry and warm under. Cleaned out with coop with new bedding. Put new bedding underneath the coop, which is where the teen-chicks sleep together in a side-turned rubbermaid bin. They won't go up in the coop to sleep for some reason, but their rubbermaid bin seems like home I guess. New water. New food. All is well. I stayed out there with them for a bit and the huddled under me as they pecked at their crumbles. I put my hands on their backs to warm them up more and they didn't even scurry off. Their feathers are so soft and clean. Whomever said chickens are dirty creatures, obviously didn't have a clue. They are beautiful, spunky, interesting animals with ways of showing love...and disgust. (i.e. Princess) Even the little boys intended for dinner are full of personality. I won't name those guys, but I can't deny them identities.

No comments:

Post a Comment