new background

So I started a blog. I'm a planner. I like to organize and prioritize. Sounds kind of weird for a gardener, but hey, its who I am. I like dirt. I like starting things from seeds and help them become the greatness that is veggie! I spent countless hours/days/weeks/months preparing for my garden adventure. I read. I read seed catalogs, old books of my mother's, other gardeners' blogs, random websites about gardening basics, and magazines. With that said, I will forever be a beginner gardener/farmer. So, again, I started a blog. I'm going to share my gardening ups and downs, what worked for me and, of course, my epic failures. I love to share tricks and knowledge and experiences with people that I've learned over time. So please, read my blog and come over to my garden, and mostly, enjoy!



Thursday, March 18, 2010

Seed-Crazed

A few here...a few there...seeds. They're everywhere now. Every store. Catalogs. I buy them. Its a weakness. The potential. The planning. The planting. Watching as the little stem pushes its way up through the dirt and the two little leaves pop out of the shell of the seed. For three years I've been (unsuccessfully) trying to grow poppies. This year, as I carefully planted the seeds, I decided to try again. And, for the first time, they sprouted! I'm not good with flowers. I like to throw seeds into the ground and hope for the best. Flowers don't seem to care for that method, with the exception of sunflowers and zinnias. Those are always my "plan b's."

This is what is movin and groovin in my started trays:
Burpee
Bunching Scallions
Italian Parsley
Sweet Bell Pepper Mix
Organic Romas
Thyme
Genovese Basil
Baby's Leaf Spinach
Spearmint
Gaillardia "Goblin"
Butterfly Weed

Ferry-Morse
Dill
Jalapeno Peppers
Rosemary
Sweet Spanish Onions
Great Lakes Head Lettuce
Parris Island Cos Organic Romaine
Grand Rapids Leaf lettuce
Danvers Carrots (heirloom)
Poblano Peppers
Oregano
Organic Calabrese Broccoli

Tons of seeds still to start:
Black Turtle bush beans
Casper Pumpkins
Boston Pickling Cucumbers
Burpee Sunflower cutting mix
Spaghetti Squash
Canterbury Bells "Cups and Saucers"
Prizewinner Hybrid Giant Pumpkin
Babyboo mini white pumpkins
Lemon Bee Balm (heirloom)
Feverfew (heirloom)
Thai White Ribbed Eggplants (heirloom)
Moon & Stars Watermelons (heirloom)
Cream of Saskatchewan Watermelons (heirloom)
Hazelfield Farm Tomato (heirloom)
Cour di Bue Tomato (heirloom)
more to come...

I'm trying out a small herb garden for tea blends. The variety of pumpkins are mainly for Sophia. They were so neat to grow last year and she LOVES Halloween. I'm growing tons of extra lettuces because I'm hoping to be able to donate to a local soup kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment