new background

So I started a blog. I'm a planner. I like to organize and prioritize. Sounds kind of weird for a gardener, but hey, its who I am. I like dirt. I like starting things from seeds and help them become the greatness that is veggie! I spent countless hours/days/weeks/months preparing for my garden adventure. I read. I read seed catalogs, old books of my mother's, other gardeners' blogs, random websites about gardening basics, and magazines. With that said, I will forever be a beginner gardener/farmer. So, again, I started a blog. I'm going to share my gardening ups and downs, what worked for me and, of course, my epic failures. I love to share tricks and knowledge and experiences with people that I've learned over time. So please, read my blog and come over to my garden, and mostly, enjoy!



Friday, September 11, 2009

Fall and sadness

Never is it more apparent to me where I should be than when I'm spending a beautiful Friday afternoon inside a dirty building at work rather than in my garden that is in dire need of maintenance. I was slightly productive this weekend. I managed to weed most of the beds and planted some lettuces for fall. I found a pretty large pumpkin that I'm hoping is going to turn white. I've got tons of little Baby Boos (mini white pumpkins) and a Sugar Baby pumpkin. I was hoping for a bigger turn out. The pumpkins are going to get their very own plot next year because they kind of took over everything. I've already started planning the layout for next year and the expansions. (sorry Hubby, more boxes, more digging)

-More space for pumpkins
-More tomato plants
-More cucumber plants
-Different variety of green beans (yucky)
-Adding some new herbs (going to try some teas)
-Spaghetti squash did awesome but had a few problems (troubleshooting and solutions added later)
-Potatoes NOT recommended for my small raised beds. I had a great yield, but I think I can do better in open groundrather than confined in beds. (12lbs of reds, 10 lbs russets, 10 lbs yukon golds) I'm also going to try a few new varieties. http://www.potatogarden.com
-My onions are also going to get a new home. 2010 will have a few new varieties but I will definitely plant less. I'm still trying to give those things away even after freezing about 5 lbs worth of chopped onions.

This year was great for experimenting. I had fun watching new things grow and trying to learn what not to do next year to help the things that didn't grow get a better start. Hopefully my chickens will help me do a little composting and insect control. Don't tell Hubby, but I was thinking of adding a few bunnies as well.

As my beds are being cleared of old plants and I prepare for Fall and Winter, I'm a little sad, but also very excited for next year. I'm planning on some shut-in time with my knitting needles and scrapbooks and daydreams of chickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment